Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Surprise

**I am going to post so that I have it recorded for when I come home.  The days are already starting to blur together so if there is TMI I am sorry ;)****

Monday evening Claire decided that it was time to make her entrance, 8 weeks early.  The kids and I were on our way to Gammy's house for a final swim in the pool. We were dressed in our pool gear and stopped at a BBQ place to get burgers.  Dylan was shredding a lot in Liberty Hill and was going to meet us there. Carly was so excited and had been talking about it all day.  I ordered the food and was waiting when I felt a gush.  I thought it was weird but didn't think anything of it, then another one came.  I then thought my water had broken.  I looked down and instead of clear fluid there was a bright red puddle forming on the floor.

So what do you do in a crisis?  Call 911?? Shout out for help? You would think an educated nurse would do one of the two but nope......I started cleaning up the floor so my babies wouldn't get in it. There was a man eating 2 tables away and never did he ask if I was ok and never came to my aid. I finally called my mom and told her to come now and then called out to the guys behind the counter that I was 7 months pregnant and bleeding all over their floor. Needless to say I never got a good response, no one ever offered to help with the kids nor stay with me etc. I made my way to the bathroom because it was still flowing heavy.  Still cleaning it up so the kids wouldn't get in it. I then called Dylan sobbing.  Finally my mom arrived and called an ambulance.  (obviously what I should have done first) Seemed like all this took forever but probably all happened in a matter of 5-10 minutes.

Never did I experience any pain or cramping. I felt completely normal other than being so scared and trying to hold it together so I didn't scare the kids. There was no precursor or anything to indicate that this would happen. I was talking to Dylan tonight and remembered a stupid detail. I had a rough day with the kids and was just tired and before leaving the house I texted one of my best friends and told her that I needed a vacation. I didn't know that in 15 minutes I would get it.....not necessarily the kind I was wanting though.

My mom took the kids back to my house to wait for Dylan's mom to get there while Dylan rode in the front of the ambulance with me. The paramedics were incredible.  I have never rode in a full speed ambulance and I hope to never again.

When we got to the hospital they took me straight up to L&D. Everything went so fast from here. They restarted an IV, the on call Dr. (Who by the way I had never met was incredible) did a sonogram, and there were nurses everywhere. He quickly decided that he was going to take her via c/s because I had such a steady blood loss and he couldn't stop it. Claire was doing great, her heart rate was great and throughout all of it she was moving. They cut off my shirt and swimsuit and then everything started going in slow motion.

 I felt like in the movies where you see people but the words are all jumbled. I didn't get to stay awake for the procedure, they used general anesthesia which at the time scared me because I wanted to know she was ok but looking back I was such a wreck that it would have made it so much worse if she didn't come out doing well. I will never forget those last few minutes before I was put out....that is by far the most scared I have ever been.  It is terrifying not knowing if your baby is ok. I was later told that her second Apgar score was an 8 out of 10.  She came out a little rockstar :)

When I woke up Dylan was there and they said she was doing great. Dylan had gotten to see her and she had already been taking to the NICU. The next couple hours were really emotional. Seeing all my sisters and my parents and Dylan's parents made it all start seeming real but Claire didn't seem real because I never got to see her. I knew she was out there somewhere but I knew nothing about her. The second worst moment of my life...being separated from your baby and not knowing when I would get to see her. My sisters and mom got to see her before I did.

 I was told I wouldn't get to see her for 12 hours but the nurse did tell me that she was make sure I saw her by 6am. When I got to mother/baby my nurse let me go at 6 hours instead. At 2am I got to finally meet her.  (Don't think that my nurse from the OR didn't show up at 6am to make sure I had gotten to see her though. Love the staff at this hospital) It was the best moment....She was 4.1 lbs of absolute perfection.



I will try to keep this updated at night on her progress. As of now she is doing awesome!

4 comments:

  1. 1. She is just so so beautiful!! I am so happy she is doing so well!

    2. Which Smokey Mo's were you at?? Because I seriously want to go beat up the people who work there for not being helpful! What is wrong with them?! Seriously can't imagine. I didn't know the kids were with you, either. :(

    3. I think Avery and I are starting to have Thompson family withdrawals! Can't wait to see you guys and meet baby Claire! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!! What a crazy story!!! I as so glad you and Claire are okay. How scary! I can't even imagine.

    She's so cute and little :-). Please let me know if you need anything. Love you!

    P.S. You're such a good Momma taking care of Carly and Claire and just keeping it together in front of them. Claire is a rockstar because you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized there are about 5 errors in my comment. I think I'm in shock about your post. I meant Carly and Clay :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, talk about scary! I am absolutely relieved that you and Miss Claire are doing well. In all honesty, I would have done the same thing about cleaning up the blood so Ellie wouldn't get into it. Plus, I want to smack the people at the BBQ place who couldn't even be bothered to help. Anyway, she is beautiful and clearly a rockstar.

    ReplyDelete