Yup thats right...... Discharge Diet!!!
Claire has been doing so good the last couple days taking her bottles, she is taking about 80% by mouth and gained 52 grams last night. They want them to gain at least 20 grams a day. Right now she is solely getting breast milk and they add a human milk fortifier to it for added nutrients and calories to help her gain weight etc. The NP told me this morning they are going to try her out on normal breast milk and see how she does, she called it the discharge diet because it will be what she is one when she comes home. I am so excited because that is one step closer to us getting to bust her out of here.
Realistically I have no expectations, it could be a week or two or even more, I have no idea but it is nice to know that we are heading in a positive directions. It is weird to think that she will be 3 weeks old tomorrow but gestationally she will be 35 weeks on tuesday. She is still such a little girl but is doing such big things.
There is this awesome hat that one of the nurses put on Claire right before she started to really do well with her feeds and so we always said it was the magic hat. We have been super careful not to drop it and not to get it dirty because it is magic and she can't go without it! Well this afternoon it feel on the floor. You would have thought it was the end of the world. I freaked out and so did the nurse. Don't worry though my nurse and one of the other ones decided that it couldn't wait to be washed so she was going to hand wash it in the sink and hang it to dry! LOL Have I mentioned that I love the nurses!
We had to say good bye to some of her little friends today that got to go home. Not going to lie I was seriously sad. This mom was really cool and funny and always made me laugh (though I don't think she was trying to). We still have one friend in there so hopefully we will get to go home together.
Please say some prayers that she continues to do well on her feedings and continues to gain weight.
Yay Claire! Getting bigger and stronger every day!
ReplyDeleteSuch awesome news! I think about y'all all the time and check for your updates daily!
ReplyDelete