Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Homeschool

I wanted to finally share about how we came to homeschool, which I have to say, so far (and we are only 5 weeks in) has been the best decision yet.

We enrolled Carly for public school back in April. It was the best day, Carly and I were so excited to go to the school and sign her up.  I was still excited for a few weeks afterwards. I never ever envisioned myself homeschooling our kids. I had the great vision of being the cool mom who eats lunch every week and volunteers in the classroom. I couldn't wait to go school clothes shopping  and get supplies and a backpack. Pretty much the whole package!

Then one day I woke up and couldn't get homeschooling out of my head. It is all I thought about. I struggled with it because it was so foreign to me and it honestly scared me. Not going to lie, I was looking forward to having only 2 kids at home so I could go for runs during the day again.

I emailed Dylan's Aunt who had homeschooled her son and asked her questions.  She was an amazing resource for me.  One of my best friends home schools as well and she had to have gotten tired of my constant questions.  I probably called her daily and talked to her about it for weeks.

I also cried...... a lot.

Through it all, I really felt this strong pull like it was what we were suppose to do. Dylan and I both prayed about it... a lot. I use to read about people who "argued" with God about issues. I daily felt like he was putting it on my heart and I was resisting.

I had a really hard time letting go of these ideas I had of what my kids school years and experiences were suppose to be. Then my friend said something that totally helped me. She said that my kids are not going to have my same experience whether they go to public school or not and I have to let go of those ideas.

I was also worried that Carly wouldn't have a best friend. I met one of mine in 2nd grade and the thought of her not having that makes my heart hurt so bad. Another friend said, "God loves her so much and their is no way that he wouldn't give that baby a best friend." Makes me cry just thinking about it because it is so true. I know this was an important decision but I was focusing on the wrong things. I didn't focus on the fact that God is completely in control and as long as we continue to let him lead us, my kid are going to have amazing experiences and will meet incredible friends.

I realized a few weeks before we started school that I have been unconsciously setting myself up for this journey for a long time. I never enrolled Carly in mothers day out.  More because I couldn't justify spending the tuition when I was sitting at home with my other kids, especially when I wasn't able to supplement the money.  I had all these math manipulatives that my sister gave me just sitting in a closet, not really sure what to do with them, as well as writing journals, and reading comprehension books passed down from my sister. I never really believed I would use them but I couldn't bring myself to throw them away. I am so thankful that I didn't because now we are using every last bit of it.

I am so glad that Dylan and I listened to those little voices. I am so thankful for the amazing friends and family that are supporting us in this journey because I truly believe it is the best thing for my family.   I am thankful for my Mom and Melissa who listen to me talk about it all the time. I love my kindergarten teacher friend Jennifer who has graciously given me the most amazing stuff to use to make the year fun.  She has been a great resource and has helped give me the confidence to do this. Most of all I am thankful for my Husband who doesn't complain when I am making stuff at night or when I redecorated the living room to be a classroom. He is 100% supportive even knowing that I probably won't be going back to nursing for a long................long time.

Daily I am thankful for this opportunity, we are going to take it one year at a time but honestly, I see this staying in the Thompson house for a long time. I can't wait to see what God has in store for us.

So sorry if you get tired of my school posts but it is pretty much what life is like over here now. :)

1 comment:

  1. I think it's great that you listened to what God put in your heart. That takes courage. I'm enjoying your home school posts so keep them coming :-)

    ReplyDelete