I stumbled upon this documentary on Netflix this weekend while Dylan was gone hunting and was very impressed. I am not much for documentaries but the title got my attention and since I was flying solo, thought I would give it a try.
It is about 4 college guys (from Texas) who go on a 5 week trip to Europe to try to figure out what it means to follow Jesus. They interview people on 7 different topics: Identity, sex/relationships, alcohol, poverty, materialism, church and entertainment in relation to Christianity.
At times it is just silly (they are college guys) and other times it made me cry. Seriously recommend it. I think that it is a great movie for all of us to watch. We all need to evaluate our behavior and should ask ourselves if we are in fact following Jesus or just going through the motions.
I remember this quote from a DC Talk song growing up and then they used it in the film:
"The single greatest cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. This is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable." -Manning, Brennan
I love this quote so much because I feel like that is a lot of us. Are we willing to give up everything we know to truly follow Jesus inside the walls of the church and even more on the outside.
There were a lot of great things the guys said that I would love to write out for you but their are a few that I just wanted to share in case you don't get the chance to watch it.
1. "Who am I to judge others, just because someone else's sin is more public than mine."
How true is this? We all have things that we struggle with and instead of pointing fingers and judging we need to be lifting each other up and helping each other to find a better way to live our lives. One of my favorite songs by Casting Crowns has a verse that says, "They don't know what we are for, only what we are against."
2. "Jesus didn't come to establish a new religion he came to establish a kingdom."
How awesome is that. I mean seriously, why are we so caught up in religion and denominations when all God wants is for us to follow Jesus and follow the Gospel so that we can go home to him.
I could write about this all day, and I seriously challenge you to watch the film and to examine your life. It starts a little slow but I promise is worth it. It is available on Netflix streaming and also to buy.
If you watch it, let me know what you you think!
No comments:
Post a Comment